12/11/09

Two Silver Dimes

I have two silver dimes, one dated 1946 and the other dated 1964. I found these when I took the synagogue pushke (charity box) and dumped the change into the convenient change counter machine at the grocery store. The change counter machine rejected the dimes. I "redeemed"
them from the charity box, and now I am the proud owner.
I looked up the "value". The dimes are really not very valuable. The real value is in the silver content. The rate for silver is now $18 per ounce, and the dimes are worth 13 times the face value. Silver quarters, half dollars and dollars are also worth 13 times their face
value, in just silver content.
When I was a kid, in the 60's, you could really get a cup of coffee in a diner for a dime. The song goes, you can't even shine your shoes...for a dime. But the song is talking about Broadway in New York, but out in the sticks, you could get a shine for a dime.
Today, even "penny candy" cost more than a dime. That is how much our currency has inflated, and lost value. A cup of coffee, at Starbucks, is about $1.75, if you get the small. If you get your coffee by the barrel, it is a bit more. At a diner, if any still exist, or maybe at McDonalds, you can still get a coffee for the value of the silver in a dime, $1.30.
So, the coffee is a constant, just our money is drying up. My two silver dimes will buy me a coffee and a shine, to start out my day. Actually, the only place you can get a shoe shine these days is the airport, and it is up to four dollars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Please make yourself heard with a COMMENT! We welcome your comments. How about a comment? Thanks!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home